489843360
Wed, Aug 28th, 2013

Daughter’s iPad charger ‘explodes in father’s hand’ giving him a huge electric shock that ‘would have killed her’

 
Tim Gillooley was ‘thrown across the room’ when he went to unplug device
He believes daughter Chloe, 8, would have been killed by the shock
Last month a Chinese woman was reportedly killed after answering an iPhone while it was plugged in

A concerned father has told how his daughter’s iPad charger exploded in his hand giving him a massive electric shock which he believes ‘would have killed her’.

Tim Gillooley, 34, said he was thrown across the room and left with blackened fingers when he reached down to unplug the device at his mother’s house in Widnes, Cheshire.

And he believes his eight-year-old daughter Chloe would most likely have been killed had it been her, instead of him, who had touched the device.

Shock: Tim Gillooley and his daughter, Chloe, 8, with the Apple iPad and charger, which exploded as he unplugged it giving him a massive electric shock

According to Mr Gillooley Chloe asked him to unplug the charger on his way back from the bathroom on Saturday last weekend.

He told the Daily Mirror: ‘There was a huge bang and it blew me across the room. I was in shock.

‘I was hysterically laughing for about two minutes. It was a bad shock that went down my arm. My mum was panicking and Chloe burst into tears.

‘Nine times out of 10, Chloe would have gone to get it herself. I think it would have killed her.’

Mr Gillooley, from Warrington, bought the iPad for Chloe’s birthday last November from the Apple store in Liverpool.

But some months later it began to develop charging problems and he returned it to the store but was told there was nothing wrong with the charger or the device.

Frazzled: The remains of the iPad charger which Mr Gooley said had exploded in his hand

They purchased a new genuine Apple charger complete with lightening cable in the hope it would solve the problem but it continued.

He added: ‘We were big fans of Apple but I won’t let my daughter near her iPhone if it’s a ticking time bomb.’

Apple – who have requested Mr Gillooley send them the remains of the charger for examination – are yet to comment.

Last month a Chinese air stewardess Ma Ailun, 23, was reportedly killed by an electric shock when she answered a call on her iPhone 5 while it was recharging.

Apple said they have launched an investigation into the claims.

source: www.dailymail.co.uk

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>