Fri, Oct 25th, 2013

Parents’ heartbreak as four-year-old daughter diagnosed with leukaemia dies just 11 DAYS later


  • Alexia McArthur was diagnosed with leukaemia after turning ‘yellowish’
  • She had chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant but died last week
  • Her parents made the decision to switch off her life support machine when they were told she would not recover

The parents of four-year-old girl have spoken of their heartbreak after she died just 11 days after being diagnosed with leukaemia.

Alexia McArthur’s parents Gaz McArthur and Jade Ellerby were told there was nothing more doctors could do as the disease took hold of their daughter’s body.

Ms Ellerby, 25, said: ‘I was laid on the bed with her singing her favourite One Direction songs. I had my arms around her and felt her take her last breath.’

Mr McArthur, 28, added: ‘You couldn’t even call her one in a million – you would need a much bigger number. She was a little star. She touched everyone.’

Alexia, from Kimberworth Park, Rotherham, was taken ill after going to the cinema with her parents.

The next morning, she was sent by her GP to Rotherham Hospital where staff suspected leukaemia and transferred her to Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

After more tests Alexia was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia – a fast growing blood cancer which affects 350 children a year in the UK.

She had treatment including chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant but lost her battle for life last Friday.

Ms Ellerby said: ‘After we’d been to the pictures we noticed Alexia had lost her colour and looked yellowish. Since then our world has been turned upside down.

‘It’s happened so quickly. Last Tuesday she took a turn for the worse. She was just staring into the corner of the room. I said “Can you see mummy?” and she said “no”.’

Alexia was moved to intensive care but doctors realised during an MRI scan that no treatment would save the youngster.

Ms Ellerby said: ‘She went for the scan and never woke up. Basically it was just a matter of time.

‘They said we could have as long as we wanted but she would either go in her own time or we could make the decision to switch off the machine.

‘We had to decide whether we wanted to switch off the machine. It was the hardest thing ever but we didn’t want her to suffer any more.

‘We put her in her pyjamas and stopped with her until the next morning. She looked so peaceful and comfortable.’

More than 50 relatives and friends were at the hospital when Alexia died, including her older sister Kenzie, and the family received thousands of messages of support and sympathy.

read more: www.dailymail.co.uk

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>